SEO can anything between science and voodoo, since Google and other search engines typically keep their ranking very secret, to prevent irrelevant results from spamming the search results.
That’s why it’s very interesting that Google just published a guide on how to SEO optimize websites.
The Google SEO Guide
The Google SEO Guide was initially a internal tool to explain SEO principles to new Google employees. Based on positive internal feedback, Google now decided to make the guide public available.
To align expectations, the guide doesn’t reveal Google’s ranking algorithm, but it gives a good and basic introduction to SEO.
The Guide covers the following topics:
- SEO Basics
- – Create unique, accurate page titles
- – Make use of the “description” meta tag
- – Improving Site Structure
- – Improve the structure of your URLs
- – Make your site easier to navigate
- Optimizing Content
- – Offer quality content and services
- – Write better anchor text
- – Optimize your use of images
- – Use heading tags appropriately
- Dealing with Crawlers
- – Make effective use of robots.txt
- – Be aware of rel=”nofollow” for links
- SEO for Mobile Phones
- – Notify Google of mobile sites
- – Guide mobile users accurately
- Promotions and Analysis
- – Promote your website in the right ways
- – Make use of free webmaster tools